Can A Christian Be “Pro Choice” or Pro Abortion?
The simple answer is no. “Pro-choice” is a term coined by the massive abortion industry in the United States that conveys the image that a woman should have a choice of whether she is willing to birth the child in her womb or terminate (kill) it. It is a made up term to give people a sense that a child in the womb is just a thing, or ‘fetus’ but not a human.
If a professing Christian person announces that they are pro-choice, this does not necessarily negate their salvation. However, it does reveal the condition of the heart. Why? God’s Word (the Bible) talks a lot about children and how God sees them. Those who love God, obey His Word. In 1 John 1:7, those believers who are walk in the light of His Word walk in the same fellowship. They think the same because they are in union with God by the Holy Spirit who is on the earth with us. We are of the same Biblically-based ethics and mores. As Romans 12:2 says, a Christian who claims they are pro-choice or pro-abortion needs to renew their mind in this area.
What the Bible says about killing children?
God teaches us that children are entrusted to us. Those who are conceived must be nurtured and loved. Adults (those past the age of accountability ) who abuse the helpless and children will be judged harshly.
Psalm 139:13-15 has God talking about how He knit you as a child together in your mother’s womb. You are no accident. In fact, here are some important things to remember from the Bible.
- Humans are made different from animals. We are made in the image of God. (Genesis 1:26-31)
- Children are a blessing from the Lord (Genesis 1:28, Psalm 127:3)
- The Bible condemns the killing of the innocent ( Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17, Matthew 19:18)
- Murderers cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Rev 22:15)
- The Bible teaches that we must love, and Jesus gave special attention to loving the poor, the despised, and those society didn’t accept (Matthew 19:13-15, Luke 17:11-10, Matthew 21:41-45). Of course, God loves all people including the rich and prosperous as well.
Supporting abortion directly or indirectly through people who practice or promote it, brings the judgment of God on the Christian supporting it in words or action. Will these professing Christians enter Heaven? That is something God will judge, but based on Revelation 22:15, the chances are low. The wise Christian will distance themselves from anything that abuses or kills children as that runs against our loving Mighty God.